The Social Casino Industry in 2014
A great resource for all social gaming operators and affiliates, Social Casino Intelligence put out a monthly analysis piece that we really love called Social Casino Tracker. The reports, which are written by Adam Krejcik of Eilers Research, analyse the social gaming sector, teasing out trends, identifying top operators and making projections on where the market’s heading. Social Casino Intelligence also puts out quarterly and annual summaries. With the Social Casino Tracker’s 2014 highlights just released, let’s unpack the key findings.
Given the increasing importance of the social casino vertical, operators and affiliates alike are going to find the data for 2014 invaluable.
- The market reached $2.8 billion this year. That’s an increase of 38% on its size in 2013. The market is projected to grow to $3.5 billion this year. The majority of this revenue will come from mobile users, according to Eilers Research.
- Mobile now accounts for 61% of all social casino revenue. The iPhone 6 Plus monetizes at higher rates than all other mobile devices.
- Facebook revenues were mostly stagnant in 2014. Product Madness is the only brand to see significant growth (+26% q/q in Q4 2014) on the social network.
- The Asian market is experiencing significant revenue growth. A key game for the industry to keep an eye on is Chinese Poker.
- Caesars Interactive Entertainment (CIE) leads the vertical by a wide margin (it has a 21% market share) over 2nd-place operator IGT and their flagship product DoubleDown (11% of the market).
- Big Fish Casino, the 4th largest brand, saw +107% year-over-year growth in 2014. They were also recently purchased by Churchill Downs in an $885 million deal.
Top Performing Social Brands in 2014
- Caesars Interactive Entertainment (CIE)
- Big Fish Casino
- GSN & Bash Gaming
- Williams Interactive & DragonPlay
- Boyaa & Tencent
- High 5 Games
- Product Madness